Sunday, May 12, 2013

Exit Interview Questions

1) What is the best way to help a basic/below basic middle school student retain knowledge in a middle school history class? The best answer I chose is the incorporation of engaging activities into the classroom, because with the contribution of a lowering attention span, engaging activities are essential to creating active learning, which thus has a better retention affect with knowledge.
2) It really all happened when I was observing my mentor's classroom, it was just so apparent that those activities were keeping them engaged, they were learning, even the special needs students. This was all backed up further when I did my science experiment, using group work/an activity VS. Solo Work/lecture, the test scores of the activity children were around 6% better, verses the kids who were lectured and then given a work sheet. To me, that, and other research online, helped to nail in that answer.
3) The only problem I faced was finding substantial research to back up that answer, or reliable research at that. I really ended up asking for help, or having it given to me, like Mr. Purther noticing my lack of variety in my sources, and he provided a great site with in depth research. It took that, and just a bit of perseverance to get much of value.
4) My most significant sources were the Buck Institute of Education for its in depth, backed up information, two of my mentors, Mrs. Patty Abalo, and Mr. E.J Gaetrau, for their knowledge of the field, and plethora of information they provided in interviews on how they've observed there students work, and what is most effective.
5)My product is the development of my ability to comfortably speak in front of large groups of people individually, something that if you view my Freshman year Greek Figures video, or even ask the junior teachers about my solo speaking ability, you'd see it was definitely lacking. Thanks to my experience due to mentorship, and the continual mini presentations in school, I've gained that confidence to comfortably, and calmly, present what is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment